Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week 2, Day 1; New Program, New Leader, New Start?

Let's start with the positive here.  Weighed in today at 225.0  Woo hoo!  Four pounds down, seventy-one to go.  I have to say I'm feeling pretty positive about the four pounds--yes, I know, I know, it's probably water, a flushing of the system, etc., and after the first week or two everything slows down, but it's still exciting nonetheless.  So, that's the good.

Now for the so-so.  Well, I had to drag myself to the Weight Watchers meeting this evening, I'll admit.  The facility and welcoming staff seemed nice, though I was confused about why the leader was asking me why I was there, couldn't I get all the information online?  No, I couldn't....that's why I was there.  To be entirely honest, I was not impressed with the leader.  She reminded me of a tiny cheerleader, but was lacking in substance and I felt very disengaged in the whole "lesson" (a reminder to consume calcium).  She was very perky and cutesy, but lacked adult charisma.  I think part of the problem is that she hasn't had to lose enough weight to understand the real workings of the process.  She said in 1985 she lost 12 pounds.  Regaining it in the 1990's, she then lost 14 pounds.  I need to lose at least 70 pounds.  There is a different mindset going on here, different motivations and roadblocks.  My last leader in our old town had been very obese before losing (and maintaining) 100 pounds. He had a strong understanding of some of the mental and emotional issues--complusion, addiction, self-esteem and confidence--that can be associated most strongly with obesity.  While talking about how eating yogurt is nice, it doesn't provide any real strategies to dealing with food or how to stay in control.  It'd be great to say that I can do this on my own without the meetings, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this portion of the program--I need the group support to stay on track.  We'll see how it goes next week.

I also received the usual booklets and beginners info. that explained the new program.  Apparently the body doesn't process calories in the same way, all calories are not created equal.  I often wondered this on the old program when I'd have a week where I stuck to the calorie limits perfectly but didn't lose weight.  They argue the type of calories you ingest matter, as foods high in fiber and protein are more difficult for the body to process, burning more calories as they are digested.  As carbs and fat (my two favorite food groups) are easily processed and stored in the body, the new program requires cutting down specifically on these foods.  The leader wanted to hammer in the idea that one must not confused the old and new programs because they are completely different.  Do not mix the plans--reminds me of a sort of Ghostbusters/Weight Watchers crossover with cosmic consequences for mixing the streams...er...nutritional plans.  While I still feel anxious about starting the new plan, I'm ready to give it a go tomorrow.  Andale!

No comments:

Post a Comment