Tuesday, March 15, 2011

W11, Day 1: Setback

Today is weigh day, usually my favorite day of the week after the initial anxiety of getting on the scale (and of course, with the exception of work).  Not today though.  Somehow this week got off on the wrong foot and I never quite recovered.  So, without further ado, today's weigh in was at 213.0 pounds, +1.0 from last week.  Ugh, gain.  *Sigh*  Ah well, I knew it had to happen.  You can't go every single week with a loss, even though it would be nice.  I won't pretend I'm not disappointed and, actually, a bit confused too.

So, time to reflect on what happened since this is not the direction I want to be headed in.  The first big event seems to have been that dinner out because the scale picked up those two pounds immediately after that (notice the passive voice there, "The scale picked up" the pounds, not my hulking body).  I honestly didn't and don't think that I ate two pounds worth of food, especially since I charted my points conservatively and still had half my allowance points left over after dinner.  In terms of calories, if every pound is about 3,500 calories, that means I somehow put on around 7,000 calories that day, which just is impossible looking back at my food record for the day.

Every time I've done WW though, there has been a week like this at some point, which makes me wonder if calories in really equals pounds out.  If a person is eating the appropriate number of calories, how can there be a gain?  After talking it over with my husband--what a good and supportive guy!--we decided that I possibly had more carbs this week:  more rice, more bread, more potato.   Even though I stayed in my points, I consumed fewer vegetables and more carbs.  Now, lest you think me slacking in the fruit and vegetables department, I hasten to say that means on average instead of getting 8-14 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, this week I ate 8-10 servings a day.  

So, what can I do but continue on?  I'm upset, yes, because I feel I worked really hard to keep my body on track, but that's how it goes.  I don't want to be trapped in body that doesn't represent who I am.  Every time I look in the mirror, I see someone else looking back at me.  Yes, it's vain, but I've never pretended otherwise.  I'm going to take this week and do my best.  I turn 30 in a month and a half and I'm determined to enter the new decade at my best--207 by May 3rd--I can do this.

1 comment:

  1. Plus, doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? You've been talking about how you're exercising and working hard in the backyard - you're probably building muscle! If muscle weighs more, then of course there could be a little gain, but it's part of getting into shape.

    - chelsea

    ReplyDelete