Saturday, April 16, 2011

W15, Day 5: Shrinking??

Yesterday evening, I asked my husband to measure me with the tape measure.  It's one of those things that you really need someone else to help you with for exact measurements.  It also really requires a certain level of intimacy with the measurer, not just because of physical proximity, but also because of the embarrassment factor to the huge numbers getting marked down in my WW book.

Recently, we watched Gone With the Wind and there's the scene after Scarlett's had her baby and her waist is measuring in at a disappointing 20 inches...oh heavens!  How can she ever be considered a lovely example of womanhood?  Of course, she is wearing a corset, which certainly makes a difference, beauty of course being worth crushed ribs and organs.  Corset or no, a small waist is a sign of beauty.  I've heard it said that a small waist and large hips is ideal because it draws back to the subconscious idea that such a woman will be good at childbearing.  Regardless of the reason for small waists, let us just say that my waist is nowhere near 20 inches.

The worst part about measuring is that it makes me feel like I am going no where.  It's been a month and a half since my last measurement and I've only lost five pounds, so it's not like I can expect huge losses.  But still, I was disappointed.  Apparently, in the last month and a half, I've only lost those five pounds in one spot because my measurements were all exactly the same except for two areas, one a decrease, one an increase (Increase??!  Really?!  Argh!!).  So, I gained an inch and half in my stomach and lost an inch from my bust.  In my opinion, that's a double affront.  It reminds me of those old Slimquick commercials where the lady loses her boobs while dieting (link posted below).  Really though, sometimes progress seems so slow.  It wouldn't be so bad if the weight was leaving my waist.  Too bad a person can't spot choose weight loss!  Maybe I need to do more sit-ups to tighten up my belly?  I'd certainly prefer not to lose any more chest if I can help it!

Slimquick Commerial:  "Now we're both unhappy."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v687XzEncqo&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. I've been exercising lately (something that happens after spending time with Anne!), hoping to finally target the areas I've ignored since having two babies. I've spent a good deal of time working on my waist and hips. Apparently my body is not aware of that fact, though, because the only place that has experienced noticeable change is my calves. Yes, my calves.
    Go figure. ;p

    ReplyDelete