Thursday, December 8, 2011

W49, Day 4: Real hunger vs. fake?

I'm hungry.  Very hungry.  I recently ate dinner, and an after-dinner snack, and I'm still so hungry.  The last two days my stomach has felt like it's been burrowing out of my body.  I've been eating my usual breakfast and lunches (yogurt, fruit, frozen SmartOnes meal, granola bar, pretzels, veggis, cheese, etc.) and for dinner last night I had a cup of rice with 7 ounces of meal stir-fried with a good quantity of veggis.  And I topped off the meal with some dark chocolate and a cup of tea.  I'm not starving myself.

Yet I felt a voracious hunger yesterday that was not abated by meals or by the time I went to bed.  I lay in bed wishing for a handful of carrots or a chunk of apple with some peanut butter.  That's how I know I'm really hungry--when I'm wishing for cupcakes or chocolate or sweets in general, I know it's not real. One of my WW leaders once mentioned this, saying, "If you are willing to eat plain green beans or other vegetables, it's probably real hunger."  Isn't it funny that sometimes it's hard for me to tell real hunger from fake?  I mean, I've done a lot of eating throughout my life, you'd think I'd know how to feel hunger.  Or maybe I don't.  Maybe that's part of the problem.  My brain desires, but maybe it doesn't understand what's truly necessary.  Maybe most hunger in me is simply the stirring of my body wanting the physical stimulants of addiction, rather than the nourishment of the body.

In any case, when I woke up this morning, I was ravenous.  I've tried to eat filling foods today to cut down on the empty ache, but it's still within me this evening.  I guess I'll have a cup of herbal tea to try to help fill up this bottomless pit.

This would be my cats' solution to the hunger issue.  They especially make 
themselves known early on a Saturday morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment